Sea Scotland 2017: Wednesday 21st June
Sustainable Development of Scotland’s Seas: Securing Progress in Uncertain Times
09:30 – 10:00 Registration and Coffee
10:00 – 10:10 Introduction to the event
10:10 – 10:45 Keynote Speakers
Keynote from Roseanna Cunningham, Cabinet Secretary for Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform
Jonathan Hughes, Chief Executive, Scottish Wildlife Trust (“Sustainable Development Goals in Scotland”)
10:45 – 11:30 Regional mechanisms to support sustainable development in Scotland
Dr Mark Dickey-Collas, International Council for Exploration of the Seas (ICES) Ecosystem Approach Co-ordinator
OSPAR Regional Seas Convention Perspective (tbc)
11:30 – 11:45 Coffee
11:45 – 13:00 Workshop Session 1
Facilitators: Dr Caroline Cowan (Post-EU Referendum Co-ordinator, Marine Scotland), Professor Colin Moffat (Head of Science, Marine Scotland), Cathy Tilbrook (Unit Manager, Coastal and Marine Ecosystems, Scottish Natural Heritage)
Questions for discussion:
- How has your vision of sustainable development changed since the EU referendum?
- What are your priorities as the situation evolves?
- What international obligations are relevant to your interests?
- What does sustainable development gain from EU requirements that non-EU commitments and mechanisms may not provide?
13:00 – 14:00 LUNCH
14:00 – 15:00 Workshop Session 2
- What opportunities exist in improving our progress towards SDGs?
- What new mechanisms are required to ensure delivery?
15:30 – 16:00 Conclusions
17:00-18.20 Wine reception/networking
18:20-18:30 Closing remarks